Sunday 19 February 2012

Live and Learn


Slim and George sat down at the bar.  Slim put a hand on George’s shoulder and stated, “Like I said, George, sometimes a guy’s gotta.”
“He was dumber than a bag of hammers; he di’n’t know any better!” George whined, ignoring Slim.
“I know, man, life just ain’t fair,” Slim said, patting his companion on the back.
“I told Lennie not to say anything to Curley’s wife.  I told ’im, yes, that I told ’im, not to have anything to do with Curley or his wife.  I says to ’im to be as quiet as a mouse when either of them are around, but sometimes it’s like talking to a brick wall. He just don’t understand sometimes and his dumbness will get the better of him and he just can’t help himself!  It ain’t his fault, Slim!  I say, it just ain’t his fault!”
Slim’s hand fell to the counter as George took a long swig from his bottle, then rested his forehead on his hand.  Slim sat still without moving a muscle, just contemplating their situation.
“He was just scared out of his wits, is all.  He di’n’t mean any harm.  He likes to feel pretty things, soft things.” George sighed, rubbing his hands across his face.
Candy sidled up, settling down on a stool beside them at the bar.
“Now I ain’t gonna beat around the bush here, but that girl had it coming for her, always givin’ them young boys the eye an’ all.  She might’ve been a sight for sore eyes, but she was as slippery as an eel, ya hear me?” Candy told them.  “Now, George, you might feel like the whole world is against you, but trust me, sooner or later you’ll realize that every dog has his day, and, unfortunately, Lennie’s end just came sooner than others.”
“He di’n’t have a mean bone in his body, that Lennie di’n’t,” said Slim.  “But sometimes it’s only a matter of time before those without a care in the world finally fall prey to those who’re full of piss and vinegar.”
But George wasn’t listening to Slim and Candy, instead he muttered to himself under his breath, “He ain’t bright, but he’s a God damn good worker.  He ain’t bright, no, not bright at all.  He’s a God damn good worker though.  God damn good worker.  Told his Aunt Clara I’d look after ’im. But now look what he’s gone an’ done.  Gone and got ’imself into trouble and I had to pull the trigger.  God damn good worker he was.”

No comments:

Post a Comment